Sunday, May 19, 2013

6th at 5150 Kansas!



This weekend took me to Kansas for another 5150 race. As we got closer to race time, the weather worsened. So much in fact, the county in which I was staying the night before was on tornado watch!

I made it through the night, arrived at transition the next morning and the rain started to come, then the thunder and the lightning. After a flash and a crack, the announcer told us the race was cancelled. A few minutes later, he retracted and said its postponed 30 minutes. A few minutes after that, a different guy came on the horn and said the swim was cancelled but the bike and run was still on after the delay. I still got to use my Xterra Vendetta wetsuit, though in a different capacity… Rather than getting soaked to the bone in a torrential downpour, I opted to throw my wetsuit on because I figured, “if you’re gonna get wet, you might as well…do your warm-up jog in your wetsuit?!”

The Bike – 10th 1:01:24 Since we started with the bike, the organizers opted for a Time Trial start. It was a very rolling course with wind coming from all directions and some so strong it almost blew me over. I hung tough, playing leap frog with a few pros and was able to maintain a mid-pack position.

The Run – 1st 33:39 I bounced out of T2 eager to wake-up the running legs. We hit the first hill about a ½ mile in and it took the wind right of my sail! Because this race started as a time trial, you weren’t technically the winner if you crossed the finish line first. Sooo, DROP THE HAMMER! Side note-- I rocked the Skechers GoMeb’s which I’m not sure are in stores yet but when they are, get a pair! I haven’t felt so good in a race shoe in a long time! I pressed on through the 2-lap run and felt comfortably-uncomfortable if that makes any sense. My bike and run training as of late have been a bit hindered due to a very annoying IT-Band injury so I was happy to see my fitness was able to pull off the fastest run split of the day (shared with champ Jordan Jones). Ironically, I’m in the best swim shape of my life but that clearly didn’t matter today! 

I hit the tape in 1:35:45 unaware of my finish but thinking it was definitely top-10 because of who had already finished and the 4 DNFs I saw on the bike. 6th!!! I was pleased with EVERYTHING – my composure related to the weather audible; my bike fitness relative to the group and in comparison to last year; my run fitness despite my nagging IT-Band issue. I’m happy to be getting back out there next weekend in New Orleans for another 5150!

As usual, a big thank you is due to my sponsors! Amazing, amazing, amazing. Champion System, Skechers Performance, Royal Hawaiian Macadamia Nut Co., DT-Swiss, Xterra Wetsuits, Rudy Project, Evolution Physical Therapy.

Thanks for checking in.

-HH

No comments:

Post a Comment