Saturday, June 2, 2012

Texas Messed with Me..

Tough race today. The climate was unbearable - almost triple digit temperatures. I was in good position during the first lap of the swim, washing maching-galore, and then got on the wrong damn feet! Ugh. Before I realized, there was a 15-20 yard gap that I couldn’t close. Annoyed, but pressed on nonetheless and chose to HAMMER the bike.

I shot out of T1 and blew past a handful of riders whom pretty much called it a day inside the first two laps. I picked up one or two others and started working well with fellow American, Nick Sterghos. The gap to the main pack was minimizing but we were expending far more energy in this heat than what was sustainable, at least for me. Toward the end of the fourth or fifth lap (can’t remember), I felt a sudden rush of dizziness and fatigue and almost went down. Half with it, I pulled over and chose to forgo any potential crash/disaster. My day was done and all I was worried about at that point was somehow lowering my body temperature, because it was through the roof!

I spent the better part of the next hour covered in ice packs and taking in liquids as I haplessly watched the race go on. Despite this unfortunate result, I was happy to see fellow Team Zico athlete, Joe Maloy and former TTS training partner, Jason Pedersen, finish 3rd and 6th respectively! Good on ya!

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from watching the best in all sports, it’s that you can’t dwell on the past. What’s done is done; learn from your experience and move-on to the next race, because there WILL be another race. And with that, I am now in prep mode for next weekend’s Escape From Alcatraz! I didn’t get to race EFA last year and I’m super excited to be doing so this year! One thing’s for certain, I won’t suffer heat exhaustion in SF!

A BIG thank you to all my sponsors: Zico, Xterra Wetsuits, Skechers, Champion Systems, Kask Helmets, Gu Energy Labs and Evolution Physical Therapy. Sorry for not being able to get it done today, but will seek retribution! Also, a BIG shout out to Team Sirius and the crew! The best!

Talk soon.

-HH

No comments:

Post a Comment