Thursday, December 17, 2009

First Pre-season BRICK

My 2010 season opener in Vine del Mar, Chile is just around the corner (Jan. 10) and I’m slowly starting to get back into race mode. I’m excited!

This morning was the first BRICK of the pre-season and for those that are unfamiliar with the term, BRICK, it normally refers to two consecutive workouts consisting of biking and running (in that order).

I rode my usual Thursday morning La Grange group ride around the Riviera Country Club in Santa Monica. About 25 miles, plenty of hills and good competitive biking got me jazzed up for my run right off the bike.

The run was roughly 4.5 miles in length and I was supposed to do 5 x 1 minute pick-ups at my 10k race pace. Going into it, I didn’t really know what to expect because one, I hadn’t done a BRICK since July and two, I hadn’t really been focusing on running speed as of late. To my surprise, I completed the two loops around the Brentwood Country Club in 26 minutes, averaging 5:45 per mile. I felt really relaxed and my pick-ups were smooth.

I am very pleased with the first BRICK of the pre-season, especially since my body has responded positively following the workout. Hopefully it will be a good predictor of things to come…

Tomorrow, the much anticipated G-trainer workout!

Thanks for checking in!

Talk soon.

-H

No comments:

Post a Comment